Masato Ninomiya is a self-taught photographer based in Kanagawa, Japan. He is a landscape photographer. He works on several photographic projects (Personal research based landscape series: Wintertag, Coastline, Borderland. Short documentary / Social landscape: Tokyo 2020). His interests are focusing on the history of his hometown of Kanagawa and the relationship with nature and environment. He likes medium format film photography for these landscape projects. All his black and white photographs were home developed by himself. His “Wintertag” series was one of the 12 winners of the FotoFilmic JRNL Issue 11, published in Canada. Some of his photography series have been selected as shortlists for the URBANAUTICA Institute Awards and International Photography Grant in Europe, as well as the ‘IMA next’ in Japan. His photographs were featured on Phases Magazine, Don’t take pictures (Photo of the day), Landscape Stories Magazine blog, Incandescent zine, etc. This website was launched in October 2003. “Still Life” was his music band name in the early days, but since 2007 it has been used to mean “Still images & An inseparable part of his life”.
*Sorry, I don’t have a Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter account. And my English isn’t so good, so feel free to ask me if there is anything unclear.
- FotoFilmic JRNL Issue 11 Winter 2022 / Series Wintertag
Guest edited by Corey Keller (SFMoMA / CCA)
- Goldenrod zine Issue 01
- Incandescent zine Issue 17
- Eyescape Magazine special issue CONNECTIONS
- TOKYO-GA photobook for restoration assistance following the 3.11 Great East Japan Earthquake
- A juried group show “Viewpoint: Landscape and Architecture” at Black Box Gallery (Portland, OR) / from the series Coastline
- Solo photo exhibition at ANTENNA (Tokyo, JP)
- Contemporary photography platform
- Photo archive project
- Portfolio review
- Online portfolio review by IMA editorial department
Reviewer: Naoko Higashi (Editor of IMA magazine and project manager of TABF)
- The 1st Yokohama Photo Festival Open portfolio review at Red Brick Warehouse Building No.1
Event produced by Yoichi Nagata
- Lifestyle Magazine
- homeland magazine / Interview: Culture and ART
- Client work and Support activities
- Education / Seminars
- Correspondence course at the Kyoto University of Art and Design
- “Photo market in the USA” by Yoichi Nagata at Gallery COSMOS
Translated by Michael Normoyle and Yoshiko Furuhashi at M&Y Translations (Series Coastline, Tokyo 2020).
Translated by Natsuka Watanabe and Natsuho Taira (Series Wintertag, Borderland).
All images and text © Masato Ninomiya
All rights reserved. Reproduction in any form without written permission is strictly forbidden.